1

A Dhuk Dhuk journey over the hills...

Posted by happynuts on 10:01 PM in , ,
13th February 2013

Summer Heat, Indian History, Afsal Guru, Interview Blues and the list goes on and it was taking a toll on my peace of mind. I wanted to fly away and listen to the sound of my inner soul, connect to mother nature and feel Bliss.

During my lunch i had this inner call, "Okay Happy take your Shehzaadhi, lets ride to Bonocaud".
Bonocaud...!!! Seriously?
Why am i thinking so much? Is this because of the thing called Maturity? I am or was crazy about Traveling. I never think so much on traveling to a new place and exploring.

Step-Out. Explore. Discover. That is the Mantra.

14:30 Hours
Next thing i know is Shehzaadhi andare riding towards Boncaud via Nedumangad and Vithura.
After Vithura it was a lonely ride ahead for another 8 kilometers, just saw a few houses and people, then i reached the forest Check-post at Vazhuvanthol. From here on we start climbing the hill through hair-pin curves and Forest cover. The ride was spooky and scary as i was riding alone and the journey reminded me of the movie "The Blair witch project". I could hear the sounds of birds chirping, the rustling of leaves, the thump of my bike and My Heart-beat. From the Check-post to Bonacaud its a 10 km ride which takes around 25-30 minutes to reach. About 2 years back Karthik, Sri and I came to Vazhuvanthol waterfalls and also tried to visit Bonacaud, but because of Mist and Downpour the visibility was poor and we had to return back halfway through.


After a few minutes past 4 i reached the village named Bonacaud. I stopped by the tea-shop which is the first building welcoming us to the village. The Shop looks more or less like an antique museum with those big old fashioned glass-jars, few packets of some unknown snacks, muffins (Looks like that). I spotted a few men inside the tea-shop having idli and sambar, from their costumes i could tell that these guys had come there to trek to Agasthyakoodam. [FYI: Bonacaud is the last stop till which vehicles are allowed; from here on you have to trek all the way to Agasthyakoodam]

And i decided to have a tea, While the Tea was getting prepared i had a casual chat with the guy who was hungrily eating up the idlis as if he hasnt eaten anything for days! He told me about the Old Factory ahead, which is worth photographing. Within 2-3 minutes my tea was served and Oh God! I realized people running the Tea-Shop has no intention of making "Happy Customers". I gulped the tea and set off toward the factory.

On the way to the factory i spotted a few villagers who looked like tamilians, even the man who was running the tea-shop had a slight tamil slang in his malayalam. I also spotted the Bonacaud's very own post-office. As i rode towards the factory, i was expecting an old abandoned, spooky building. When i reached the factory it had all the elements what i had visualized in my head with lots of posters of political parties, flags, slogans. Just another victim of aggressive election campaign. Then i saw a man, in his 40s, listening to a group of people ( i guess the factory employees). I walked around the place and discovered that the Factory has a name, "Mahavir Plantations Limited". I spend a few minutes around the factory, clicked few pictures and returned back to Tea-Shop. I had to collect the balance money of the tea i gulped, later i thought i'll have one more tea. While the man was making Tea, i enquired about the place and for how long he has been running the shop

                         


Bonacaud, is a Tea-Estate established by Britishers. Tea-shop owner's grandfather was the first generation that worked in the tea-estate, the tea-shop owner is more than 60 years old now. His son had moved out in-search of better life and better opportunities. But he is still living in this place which is the only world he knows. There are around 200 people living in Bonacaud now. Most of them older folks, the third generation workers. The younger lot has moved to green leaving behind their older folks. They are still attached to something here. They dont even have basic facilities like clinic, doctor, school, or a proper shop.. By the looks of the ruined buildings, Bonacaud looks like a Ghostly town. Truly Bonacaud is a world disconnect from The world.

                          

Once i finished my second cup of Tea, it was around five and it was getting darker. And it was wise to start off early. Ride back was a pleasant one. My mind was more clear now, though filled with lot of thoughts, but it was more like a canvas with a beautiful painting.

Bonacaud is dying. Once upon a time Young Men and Women came here with dreams and Made the dreams of the Britishers into a reality. Can sense that the souls of these people are still living here embracing the past.

I bid good bye to this estate promising my return one day...




|

1 Comments


What a fantastic look into a place I haven't even heard of up until now! I would have loved more images, or was it your intention to let us conjure up our own?! :)

Copyright © 2009 LiFe Is a CeLeBr@tioN... All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.